Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 14271 'Sir George' waiting to be scrapped at Kilmarnock
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_404
PLACENAME
Kilmarnock
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24865
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
LMS 14271 'Sir George' waiting to be scrapped at Kilmarnock

The 'Strath' class of 4-4-0 passenger locomotives were built for the Highland Railway by Neilson Reid & Co. of Glasgow in 1892. They were built to the design of David Jones, the company's locomotive superintendent, and were similar in design to his other locomotives, with the exception of having larger boilers. The twelve locomotives were numbered 89 to 100 and six of them passed into LMS ownership in 1923.

This photograph shows LMS 14271 'Sir George' inside Kilmarnock shed, waiting to be scrapped. On completion for the Highland Railway it carried the number 89 and was renumbered on four occasions: to 89A in May 1918; to 89 in September 1919; to 89A in November 1919 and then 89 again in August 1922. It was one of the class to pass into LMS ownership and was numbered 14271 by the new company. It was withdrawn from service in August 1930.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 14271 'Sir George' waiting to be scrapped at Kilmarnock

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 2 (Jones classes)

The 'Strath' class of 4-4-0 passenger locomotives were built for the Highland Railway by Neilson Reid & Co. of Glasgow in 1892. They were built to the design of David Jones, the company's locomotive superintendent, and were similar in design to his other locomotives, with the exception of having larger boilers. The twelve locomotives were numbered 89 to 100 and six of them passed into LMS ownership in 1923.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows LMS 14271 'Sir George' inside Kilmarnock shed, waiting to be scrapped. On completion for the Highland Railway it carried the number 89 and was renumbered on four occasions: to 89A in May 1918; to 89 in September 1919; to 89A in November 1919 and then 89 again in August 1922. It was one of the class to pass into LMS ownership and was numbered 14271 by the new company. It was withdrawn from service in August 1930.