Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 54 on train at Fort Augustus, August 1906
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_410
PLACENAME
Fort Augustus
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff
DATE OF IMAGE
15 August 1906
PERIOD
1900s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24871
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
HR 54 on train at Fort Augustus, August 1906

In 1892 the Highland Railway took delivery of two 4-4-0 tank engines which had been built for the Uruguay Great Eastern Railway but never delivered. After a trial period they purchased the two locomotives (HR 101 & 102) and, in the following year, ordered three more of a very similar specification (HR 11, 14 & 15). All five of these 'Yankee Tanks' were built by Dübs & Co. of Glasgow and all passed into LMS ownership.

This photograph shows HR 54 at Fort Augustus in 1906. Originally numbered 14 by the Highland Railway it was renumbered three times: to 54 in October 1900; to 54A in April 1918; and to 54B in August 1922. Between 1901 and 1923 it carried the name 'Portessie'. After the grouping it lost its name and became LMS 15017. It was eventually withdrawn in December 1927.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 54 on train at Fort Augustus, August 1906

INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff

1900s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 2 (Jones classes)

In 1892 the Highland Railway took delivery of two 4-4-0 tank engines which had been built for the Uruguay Great Eastern Railway but never delivered. After a trial period they purchased the two locomotives (HR 101 & 102) and, in the following year, ordered three more of a very similar specification (HR 11, 14 & 15). All five of these 'Yankee Tanks' were built by Dübs & Co. of Glasgow and all passed into LMS ownership.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 54 at Fort Augustus in 1906. Originally numbered 14 by the Highland Railway it was renumbered three times: to 54 in October 1900; to 54A in April 1918; and to 54B in August 1922. Between 1901 and 1923 it carried the name 'Portessie'. After the grouping it lost its name and became LMS 15017. It was eventually withdrawn in December 1927.