Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 14 on train on train at Strathpeffer
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_424
PLACENAME
Strathpeffer
DISTRICT
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Fodderty
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24884
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
HR 14 on train on train at Strathpeffer

In 1892 the Highland Railway took delivery of two 4-4-0 tank engines which had been built for the Uruguay Great Eastern Railway but never delivered. After a trial period they purchased the two locomotives (HR 101 & 102) and, in the following year, ordered three more of a very similar specification (HR 11, 14 & 15). All five of these 'Yankee Tanks' were built by Dübs & Co. of Glasgow and all passed into LMS ownership.

This photograph shows HR 14 at Strathpeffer. It was given the name 'Portessie' in 1901 and was renumbered three times by the Highland Railway: to 54 in October 1900; to 54A in April 1918; and to 54B in August 1922. After the grouping it lost its name and became LMS 15017. It was eventually withdrawn in December 1927.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 14 on train on train at Strathpeffer

ROSS: Fodderty

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 2 (Jones classes)

In 1892 the Highland Railway took delivery of two 4-4-0 tank engines which had been built for the Uruguay Great Eastern Railway but never delivered. After a trial period they purchased the two locomotives (HR 101 & 102) and, in the following year, ordered three more of a very similar specification (HR 11, 14 & 15). All five of these 'Yankee Tanks' were built by Dübs & Co. of Glasgow and all passed into LMS ownership.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 14 at Strathpeffer. It was given the name 'Portessie' in 1901 and was renumbered three times by the Highland Railway: to 54 in October 1900; to 54A in April 1918; and to 54B in August 1922. After the grouping it lost its name and became LMS 15017. It was eventually withdrawn in December 1927.