Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 52 at Dingwall, August 1923
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_429
PLACENAME
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Dingwall
DATE OF IMAGE
31 August 1923
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24889
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
HR 52 at Dingwall, August 1923

In 1892 the Highland Railway took delivery of two 4-4-0 tank engines which had been built for the Uruguay Great Eastern Railway but never delivered. After a trial period they purchased the two locomotives (HR 101 & 102) and, in the following year, ordered three more of a very similar specification (HR 11, 14 & 15). All five of these 'Yankee Tanks' were built by Dübs & Co. of Glasgow and all passed into LMS ownership.

This photograph shows HR 52 at Dingwall in 1923. Originally numbered 15 by the Highland Railway it was renumbered three times by the Highland Railway: to 52 in December 1900; to 52A in March 1917; and to 52B in August 1922. Between 1901 and 1923 it carried the name 'Fortrose'. After the grouping it lost its name and became LMS 15016. It was eventually withdrawn in May 1927.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 52 at Dingwall, August 1923

ROSS: Dingwall

1920s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 2 (Jones classes)

In 1892 the Highland Railway took delivery of two 4-4-0 tank engines which had been built for the Uruguay Great Eastern Railway but never delivered. After a trial period they purchased the two locomotives (HR 101 & 102) and, in the following year, ordered three more of a very similar specification (HR 11, 14 & 15). All five of these 'Yankee Tanks' were built by Dübs & Co. of Glasgow and all passed into LMS ownership.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 52 at Dingwall in 1923. Originally numbered 15 by the Highland Railway it was renumbered three times by the Highland Railway: to 52 in December 1900; to 52A in March 1917; and to 52B in August 1922. Between 1901 and 1923 it carried the name 'Fortrose'. After the grouping it lost its name and became LMS 15016. It was eventually withdrawn in May 1927.