Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 103 on the turntable at Inverness, June 1960
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_490
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
18 June 1960
PERIOD
1960s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24947
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
HR 103 on the turntable at Inverness, June 1960

When the Highland Railway introduced the first of the David Jones-designed 'Big Goods' class in 1894 they were the first locomotives in Britain to have a 4-6-0 wheel arrangement and were also the most powerful mainline engines working in the country. A total of 15 were built by Sharp Stewart & Co. in Glasgow (numbered 103 to 117) and all passed into LMS ownership in 1923.

This photograph shows HR 103 on the turntable at Inverness. After being withdrawn from service in 1934 (having been renumbered 17916 after the grouping) it was restored to its original appearance and condition by the LMS. In 1959 it was returned to full working order by British Railways and spent some time pulling special rail enthusiasts tours. It is the only surviving HR locomotive and can be seen in The Riverside museum in Glasgow.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 103 on the turntable at Inverness, June 1960

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1960s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 2 (Jones classes)

When the Highland Railway introduced the first of the David Jones-designed 'Big Goods' class in 1894 they were the first locomotives in Britain to have a 4-6-0 wheel arrangement and were also the most powerful mainline engines working in the country. A total of 15 were built by Sharp Stewart & Co. in Glasgow (numbered 103 to 117) and all passed into LMS ownership in 1923.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 103 on the turntable at Inverness. After being withdrawn from service in 1934 (having been renumbered 17916 after the grouping) it was restored to its original appearance and condition by the LMS. In 1959 it was returned to full working order by British Railways and spent some time pulling special rail enthusiasts tours. It is the only surviving HR locomotive and can be seen in The Riverside museum in Glasgow.