Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 17924 on the turntable at Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_526
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1920s; 1930s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
24983
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
LMS 17924 on the turntable at Inverness

When the Highland Railway introduced the first of the David Jones-designed 'Big Goods' class in 1894 they were the first locomotives in Britain to have a 4-6-0 wheel arrangement and were also the most powerful mainline engines working in the country. A total of 15 were built by Sharp Stewart & Co. in Glasgow (numbered 103 to 117) and all passed into LMS ownership in 1923. The only surviving Highland Railway locomotive is a member of this class (HR 103) and can be seen in The Riverside museum in Glasgow.

This photograph shows LMS 17924 (formerly HR 111) on the turntable at Inverness. It was withdrawn from service in October 1934.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 17924 on the turntable at Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1920s; 1930s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 2 (Jones classes)

When the Highland Railway introduced the first of the David Jones-designed 'Big Goods' class in 1894 they were the first locomotives in Britain to have a 4-6-0 wheel arrangement and were also the most powerful mainline engines working in the country. A total of 15 were built by Sharp Stewart & Co. in Glasgow (numbered 103 to 117) and all passed into LMS ownership in 1923. The only surviving Highland Railway locomotive is a member of this class (HR 103) and can be seen in The Riverside museum in Glasgow.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows LMS 17924 (formerly HR 111) on the turntable at Inverness. It was withdrawn from service in October 1934.