Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 17917 at Inverness, June 1936
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_570
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
13 June 1936
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25027
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
LMS 17917 at Inverness, June 1936

When the Highland Railway introduced the first of the David Jones-designed 'Big Goods' class in 1894 they were the first locomotives in Britain to have a 4-6-0 wheel arrangement and were also the most powerful mainline engines working in the country. A total of 15 were built by Sharp Stewart & Co. in Glasgow (numbered 103 to 117) and all passed into LMS ownership in 1923. The only surviving Highland Railway locomotive is a member of this class (HR 103) and can be seen in The Riverside museum in Glasgow.

This photograph shows LMS 17917 (formerly HR 104) at Inverness in June 1936. It was withdrawn from service in November 1939.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 17917 at Inverness, June 1936

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1930s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 2 (Jones classes)

When the Highland Railway introduced the first of the David Jones-designed 'Big Goods' class in 1894 they were the first locomotives in Britain to have a 4-6-0 wheel arrangement and were also the most powerful mainline engines working in the country. A total of 15 were built by Sharp Stewart & Co. in Glasgow (numbered 103 to 117) and all passed into LMS ownership in 1923. The only surviving Highland Railway locomotive is a member of this class (HR 103) and can be seen in The Riverside museum in Glasgow.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows LMS 17917 (formerly HR 104) at Inverness in June 1936. It was withdrawn from service in November 1939.