Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 118 'Gordon Castle'
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_587C
PLACENAME
unidentified
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25048
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
HR 118 'Gordon Castle'

This locomotive was built for the 3rd Duke of Sutherland in 1870 by Kitson & Co. of Leeds. It worked on passenger trains between Dunrobin and Gartymore until the Duke's railway was connected to the main Highland infrastructure. After this it was kept at Brora and reserved for pulling the Duke's private carriage.

The locomotive passed to the Highland Railway in 1895. They had it rebuilt in the following year and renamed 'Gordon Castle'. In 1900 it was renamed 'Invergordon' and was used for shunting duties at Invergordon harbour. Originally numbered 118 by the Highland it was renumbered to 118A in July 1913. It was withdrawn from service and sold in 1923.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 118 'Gordon Castle'

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 2 (Jones classes)

This locomotive was built for the 3rd Duke of Sutherland in 1870 by Kitson & Co. of Leeds. It worked on passenger trains between Dunrobin and Gartymore until the Duke's railway was connected to the main Highland infrastructure. After this it was kept at Brora and reserved for pulling the Duke's private carriage.<br /> <br /> The locomotive passed to the Highland Railway in 1895. They had it rebuilt in the following year and renamed 'Gordon Castle'. In 1900 it was renamed 'Invergordon' and was used for shunting duties at Invergordon harbour. Originally numbered 118 by the Highland it was renumbered to 118A in July 1913. It was withdrawn from service and sold in 1923.