Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 122 'Loch Moy' and HR 128 outside Aviemore shed
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_647
PLACENAME
Aviemore
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25106
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
HR 122 'Loch Moy' and HR 128 outside Aviemore shed

The last class of locomotive designed for the Highland Railway by David Jones was the 4-4-0 'Loch' class. Fifteen were built by Dübs & Co. in Glasgow in 1896 and a further three, with minor alterations, were produced by the North British Locomotive Company in 1917. The first batch was numbered 119 to 133 with the later engines numbered 70 to 72. They were intended to work on express passenger services and all passed into LMS ownership in 1923.

This photograph shows HR 122 'Loch Moy' and HR 128 'Loch Luichart' outside Aviemore shed. 'Loch Moy' was numbered 14382 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in December 1940. 'Loch Luichart' was numbered 14388 and continued in service withdrawn in December 1930.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 122 'Loch Moy' and HR 128 outside Aviemore shed

INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 2 (Jones classes)

The last class of locomotive designed for the Highland Railway by David Jones was the 4-4-0 'Loch' class. Fifteen were built by Dübs & Co. in Glasgow in 1896 and a further three, with minor alterations, were produced by the North British Locomotive Company in 1917. The first batch was numbered 119 to 133 with the later engines numbered 70 to 72. They were intended to work on express passenger services and all passed into LMS ownership in 1923.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 122 'Loch Moy' and HR 128 'Loch Luichart' outside Aviemore shed. 'Loch Moy' was numbered 14382 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in December 1940. 'Loch Luichart' was numbered 14388 and continued in service withdrawn in December 1930.