Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 14385 'Loch Tay' at Forres yard, June 1949
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_688
PLACENAME
Forres
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE
DATE OF IMAGE
28 July 1949
PERIOD
1940s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25146
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
LMS 14385 'Loch Tay' at Forres yard, June 1949

The last class of locomotive designed for the Highland Railway by David Jones was the 4-4-0 'Loch' class. Fifteen were built by Dübs & Co. in Glasgow in 1896 and a further three, with minor alterations, were produced by the North British Locomotive Company in 1917. The first batch was numbered 119 to 133 with the later engines numbered 70 to 72. They were intended to work on express passenger services and all passed into LMS ownership in 1923.

This photograph shows LMS 14385 'Loch Tay' (formerly HR 125) at Forres yard in June 1949. It was withdrawn from service in April 1950. This gave it the distinction of having the longest working life of all the locos in the class.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 14385 'Loch Tay' at Forres yard, June 1949

MORAYSHIRE

1940s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 2 (Jones classes)

The last class of locomotive designed for the Highland Railway by David Jones was the 4-4-0 'Loch' class. Fifteen were built by Dübs & Co. in Glasgow in 1896 and a further three, with minor alterations, were produced by the North British Locomotive Company in 1917. The first batch was numbered 119 to 133 with the later engines numbered 70 to 72. They were intended to work on express passenger services and all passed into LMS ownership in 1923.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows LMS 14385 'Loch Tay' (formerly HR 125) at Forres yard in June 1949. It was withdrawn from service in April 1950. This gave it the distinction of having the longest working life of all the locos in the class.