Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 128 'Loch Luichart' on the turntable at Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_709
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1890s; 1900s; 1910s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25166
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
HR 128 'Loch Luichart' on the turntable at Inverness

The last class of locomotive designed for the Highland Railway by David Jones was the 4-4-0 'Loch' class. Fifteen were built by Dübs & Co. in Glasgow in 1896 and a further three, with minor alterations, were produced by the North British Locomotive Company in 1917. The first batch was numbered 119 to 133 with the later engines numbered 70 to 72. They were intended to work on express passenger services and all passed into LMS ownership in 1923.

This photograph shows HR 128 'Loch Luichart' on the turntable at Inverness. It was numbered 14388 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in December 1930.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 128 'Loch Luichart' on the turntable at Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1890s; 1900s; 1910s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 2 (Jones classes)

The last class of locomotive designed for the Highland Railway by David Jones was the 4-4-0 'Loch' class. Fifteen were built by Dübs & Co. in Glasgow in 1896 and a further three, with minor alterations, were produced by the North British Locomotive Company in 1917. The first batch was numbered 119 to 133 with the later engines numbered 70 to 72. They were intended to work on express passenger services and all passed into LMS ownership in 1923.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 128 'Loch Luichart' on the turntable at Inverness. It was numbered 14388 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in December 1930.