Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
BR 54399 'Ben Wyvis' leaving Dingwall
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_800
PLACENAME
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Dingwall
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25253
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
BR 54399 'Ben Wyvis' leaving Dingwall

Peter Drummond replaced David Jones as the Highland Railway's locomotive superintendent in 1896. The first engine introduced by Drummond was a class of 4-4-0 passenger loco. A total of 20 were built and they are collectively known as the "Small Ben" class.



The first eight (nos. 1 to 8) were received from Dübs & Co. of Glasgow between July 1898 and February 1899. A further batch of nine (nos. 9 to 17) were built at the Highland's own Lochgorm works in Inverness between July 1899 and February 1901. A final batch of three (nos. 38, 41 and 47) were built by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow in 1906. All passed into LMS ownership in 1923 and ten survived into British Rail ownership in 1948.



This photograph shows BR 54399 'Ben Wyvis'(formerly HR 3) leaving Dingwall. It was withdrawn from service in April 1952. Its LMS number was 14399.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

BR 54399 'Ben Wyvis' leaving Dingwall

ROSS: Dingwall

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 3 (Drummond classes)

Peter Drummond replaced David Jones as the Highland Railway's locomotive superintendent in 1896. The first engine introduced by Drummond was a class of 4-4-0 passenger loco. A total of 20 were built and they are collectively known as the "Small Ben" class. <br /><br /> <br /><br /> The first eight (nos. 1 to 8) were received from Dübs & Co. of Glasgow between July 1898 and February 1899. A further batch of nine (nos. 9 to 17) were built at the Highland's own Lochgorm works in Inverness between July 1899 and February 1901. A final batch of three (nos. 38, 41 and 47) were built by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow in 1906. All passed into LMS ownership in 1923 and ten survived into British Rail ownership in 1948.<br /><br /> <br /><br /> This photograph shows BR 54399 'Ben Wyvis'(formerly HR 3) leaving Dingwall. It was withdrawn from service in April 1952. Its LMS number was 14399.