Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 14410 'Ben Dearg' at Aviemore, September 1947
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_841
PLACENAME
Aviemore
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus
DATE OF IMAGE
6 September 1947
PERIOD
1940s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25293
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
LMS 14410 'Ben Dearg' at Aviemore, September 1947

Peter Drummond replaced David Jones as the Highland Railway's locomotive superintendent in 1896. The first engine introduced by Drummond was a class of 4-4-0 passenger loco. A total of 20 were built and they are collectively known as the "Small Ben" class.

The first eight (nos. 1 to 8) were received from Dübs & Co. of Glasgow between July 1898 and February 1899. A further batch of nine (nos. 9 to 17) were built at the Highland's own Lochgorm works in Inverness between July 1899 and February 1901. A final batch of three (nos. 38, 41 and 47) were built by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow in 1906. All passed into LMS ownership in 1923 and ten survived into British Rail ownership in 1948.

This photograph shows LMS 14410 'Ben Dearg' (formerly HR 14) at Aviemore in September 1947. It was withdrawn from service in December 1949. Its BR number was 54410.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 14410 'Ben Dearg' at Aviemore, September 1947

INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus

1940s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 3 (Drummond classes)

Peter Drummond replaced David Jones as the Highland Railway's locomotive superintendent in 1896. The first engine introduced by Drummond was a class of 4-4-0 passenger loco. A total of 20 were built and they are collectively known as the "Small Ben" class. <br /> <br /> The first eight (nos. 1 to 8) were received from Dübs & Co. of Glasgow between July 1898 and February 1899. A further batch of nine (nos. 9 to 17) were built at the Highland's own Lochgorm works in Inverness between July 1899 and February 1901. A final batch of three (nos. 38, 41 and 47) were built by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow in 1906. All passed into LMS ownership in 1923 and ten survived into British Rail ownership in 1948.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows LMS 14410 'Ben Dearg' (formerly HR 14) at Aviemore in September 1947. It was withdrawn from service in December 1949. Its BR number was 54410.