Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 14404 'Ben Clebrig' at Inverness, September 1937
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_861
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
9 September 1937
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25313
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
LMS 14404 'Ben Clebrig' at Inverness, September 1937

Peter Drummond replaced David Jones as the Highland Railway's locomotive superintendent in 1896. The first engine introduced by Drummond was a class of 4-4-0 passenger loco. A total of 20 were built and they are collectively known as the "Small Ben" class.

The first eight (nos. 1 to 8) were received from Dübs & Co. of Glasgow between July 1898 and February 1899. A further batch of nine (nos. 9 to 17) were built at the Highland's own Lochgorm works in Inverness between July 1899 and February 1901. A final batch of three (nos. 38, 41 and 47) were built by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow in 1906. All passed into LMS ownership in 1923 and ten survived into British Rail ownership in 1948.

This photograph shows LMS 14404 'Ben Clebrig' (formerly HR 8) at Inverness in September 1937. It was withdrawn from service in October 1950. Its BR number was 54404.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 14404 'Ben Clebrig' at Inverness, September 1937

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1930s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 3 (Drummond classes)

Peter Drummond replaced David Jones as the Highland Railway's locomotive superintendent in 1896. The first engine introduced by Drummond was a class of 4-4-0 passenger loco. A total of 20 were built and they are collectively known as the "Small Ben" class. <br /> <br /> The first eight (nos. 1 to 8) were received from Dübs & Co. of Glasgow between July 1898 and February 1899. A further batch of nine (nos. 9 to 17) were built at the Highland's own Lochgorm works in Inverness between July 1899 and February 1901. A final batch of three (nos. 38, 41 and 47) were built by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow in 1906. All passed into LMS ownership in 1923 and ten survived into British Rail ownership in 1948.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows LMS 14404 'Ben Clebrig' (formerly HR 8) at Inverness in September 1937. It was withdrawn from service in October 1950. Its BR number was 54404.