Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 14409 'Ben Alisky' at Helmsdale, October 1949
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_001_985
PLACENAME
Helmsdale
DISTRICT
Kildonan, Loth and Clyne
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Kildonan
DATE OF IMAGE
An Dàmhair1949
PERIOD
1940s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25431
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
LMS 14409 'Ben Alisky' at Helmsdale, October 1949

Peter Drummond replaced David Jones as the Highland Railway's locomotive superintendent in 1896. The first engine introduced by Drummond was a class of 4-4-0 passenger loco. A total of 20 were built and they are collectively known as the "Small Ben" class.

The first eight (nos. 1 to 8) were received from Dübs & Co. of Glasgow between July 1898 and February 1899. A further batch of nine (nos. 9 to 17) were built at the Highland's own Lochgorm works in Inverness between July 1899 and February 1901. A final batch of three (nos. 38, 41 and 47) were built by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow in 1906. All passed into LMS ownership in 1923 and ten survived into British Rail ownership in 1948.

This photograph shows LMS 14409 'Ben Alisky' (formerly HR 13) at Helmsdale in October 1949, six months before it was withdrawn from service. Its BR number was 54409.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 14409 'Ben Alisky' at Helmsdale, October 1949

SUTHERLAND: Kildonan

1940s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 3 (Drummond classes)

Peter Drummond replaced David Jones as the Highland Railway's locomotive superintendent in 1896. The first engine introduced by Drummond was a class of 4-4-0 passenger loco. A total of 20 were built and they are collectively known as the "Small Ben" class. <br /> <br /> The first eight (nos. 1 to 8) were received from Dübs & Co. of Glasgow between July 1898 and February 1899. A further batch of nine (nos. 9 to 17) were built at the Highland's own Lochgorm works in Inverness between July 1899 and February 1901. A final batch of three (nos. 38, 41 and 47) were built by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow in 1906. All passed into LMS ownership in 1923 and ten survived into British Rail ownership in 1948.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows LMS 14409 'Ben Alisky' (formerly HR 13) at Helmsdale in October 1949, six months before it was withdrawn from service. Its BR number was 54409.