Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 14692 'Darnaway Castle' at Aviemore, July 1932
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_006_017
PLACENAME
Aviemore
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus
DATE OF IMAGE
7 July 1932
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25501
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
LMS 14692 'Darnaway Castle' at Aviemore, July 1932

The third and final batch of 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives was introduced by the Highland Railway in the spring of 1917. Three engines were built by the North British Locomotive Co. Numbered 50, 58 and 59 they differed from the previous batches by having larger driving wheels, slightly longer boilers and six-wheeled tenders. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.

This photograph shows LMS 14692 'Darnaway Castle' (formerly HR 58) at Aviemore in July 1932. It was withdrawn from service in March 1946.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 14692 'Darnaway Castle' at Aviemore, July 1932

INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus

1930s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 5 (Cumming classes)

The third and final batch of 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives was introduced by the Highland Railway in the spring of 1917. Three engines were built by the North British Locomotive Co. Numbered 50, 58 and 59 they differed from the previous batches by having larger driving wheels, slightly longer boilers and six-wheeled tenders. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows LMS 14692 'Darnaway Castle' (formerly HR 58) at Aviemore in July 1932. It was withdrawn from service in March 1946.