Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 14688 'Thurso Castle' at Perth, July 1926
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_006_018
PLACENAME
Perth
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
PERTH
DATE OF IMAGE
30 July 1926
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25502
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
LMS 14688 'Thurso Castle' at Perth, July 1926

A second batch of four of 'Castle' class engines were ordered by the Highland Railway during Frederick Smith's term as locomotive superintendent. They were built by the North British Locomotive Co and delivered in 1913. Numbered 26, 27, 28 and 43 they contained slight modifications from the previous batch. These included longer buffers, larger domes and extended smokeboxes. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.

This photograph shows LMS 14688 'Thurso Castle' (formerly HR 27) at Perth in July 1926. It was withdrawn from service in February 1935.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 14688 'Thurso Castle' at Perth, July 1926

PERTH

1920s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 4 (Smith classes)

A second batch of four of 'Castle' class engines were ordered by the Highland Railway during Frederick Smith's term as locomotive superintendent. They were built by the North British Locomotive Co and delivered in 1913. Numbered 26, 27, 28 and 43 they contained slight modifications from the previous batch. These included longer buffers, larger domes and extended smokeboxes. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows LMS 14688 'Thurso Castle' (formerly HR 27) at Perth in July 1926. It was withdrawn from service in February 1935.