Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 143 'Gordon Castle' at Thurso, May 1913
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_006_049
PLACENAME
Thurso
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Thurso
DATE OF IMAGE
23 May 1913
PERIOD
1910s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25529
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
HR 143 'Gordon Castle' at Thurso, May 1913

The first incarnation of Highland Railway's 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives were introduced in 1900 by Peter Drummond. The first six (nos. 140 to 145) were built by Dübs of Glasgow and were delivered in June of that year. Four more (nos. 146 to 149), also built by Dübs, were received in July 1902 and a further two (nos. 30 and 35) were built by the North British Locomotive Co. in 1910 and 1911 respectively. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.

This photograph shows HR 143 'Gordon Castle' at Thurso in May 1913. The second Highland Railway loco to bear that name, it was numbered 14678 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in February 1946.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 143 'Gordon Castle' at Thurso, May 1913

CAITHNESS: Thurso

1910s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 3 (Drummond classes)

The first incarnation of Highland Railway's 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives were introduced in 1900 by Peter Drummond. The first six (nos. 140 to 145) were built by Dübs of Glasgow and were delivered in June of that year. Four more (nos. 146 to 149), also built by Dübs, were received in July 1902 and a further two (nos. 30 and 35) were built by the North British Locomotive Co. in 1910 and 1911 respectively. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 143 'Gordon Castle' at Thurso in May 1913. The second Highland Railway loco to bear that name, it was numbered 14678 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in February 1946.