Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 14690 'Dalcross Castle' at Aviemore, August 1946
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_006_058
PLACENAME
Aviemore
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus
DATE OF IMAGE
2 August 1946
PERIOD
1940s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25537
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
LMS 14690 'Dalcross Castle' at Aviemore, August 1946

A second batch of four of 'Castle' class engines were ordered by the Highland Railway during Frederick Smith's term as locomotive superintendent. They were built by the North British Locomotive Co and delivered in 1913. Numbered 26, 27, 28 and 43 they contained slight modifications from the previous batch. These included longer buffers, larger domes and extended smokeboxes. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.

This photograph shows LMS 14690 'Dalcross Castle' (formerly HR 29) at Aviemore in August 1946. It was withdrawn from service in April 1947.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 14690 'Dalcross Castle' at Aviemore, August 1946

INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus

1940s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 4 (Smith classes)

A second batch of four of 'Castle' class engines were ordered by the Highland Railway during Frederick Smith's term as locomotive superintendent. They were built by the North British Locomotive Co and delivered in 1913. Numbered 26, 27, 28 and 43 they contained slight modifications from the previous batch. These included longer buffers, larger domes and extended smokeboxes. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows LMS 14690 'Dalcross Castle' (formerly HR 29) at Aviemore in August 1946. It was withdrawn from service in April 1947.