Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 14689 'Cluny Castle' at Wick
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_006_059
PLACENAME
Wick
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Wick
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25538
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
LMS 14689 'Cluny Castle' at Wick

A second batch of four of 'Castle' class engines were ordered by the Highland Railway during Frederick Smith's term as locomotive superintendent. They were built by the North British Locomotive Co and delivered in 1913. Numbered 26, 27, 28 and 43 they contained slight modifications from the previous batch. These included longer buffers, larger domes and extended smokeboxes. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.

This photograph shows LMS 14689 'Cluny Castle' (formerly HR 28) at Wick. It was withdrawn from service in September 1944.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 14689 'Cluny Castle' at Wick

CAITHNESS: Wick

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 4 (Smith classes)

A second batch of four of 'Castle' class engines were ordered by the Highland Railway during Frederick Smith's term as locomotive superintendent. They were built by the North British Locomotive Co and delivered in 1913. Numbered 26, 27, 28 and 43 they contained slight modifications from the previous batch. These included longer buffers, larger domes and extended smokeboxes. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows LMS 14689 'Cluny Castle' (formerly HR 28) at Wick. It was withdrawn from service in September 1944.