Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 147 'Beaufort Castle' at Perth, 1912
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_006_061
PLACENAME
Perth
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
PERTH
DATE OF IMAGE
1912
PERIOD
1910s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25540
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
HR 147 'Beaufort Castle' at Perth, 1912

The first incarnation of Highland Railway's 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives were introduced in 1900 by Peter Drummond. The first six (nos. 140 to 145) were built by Dübs of Glasgow and were delivered in June of that year. Four more (nos. 146 to 149), also built by Dübs, were received in July 1902 and a further two (nos. 30 and 35) were built by the North British Locomotive Co. in 1910 and 1911 respectively. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.

This photograph shows HR 147 'Beaufort Castle' at Perth in 1912. It was numbered 14682 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in November 1943.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 147 'Beaufort Castle' at Perth, 1912

PERTH

1910s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 3 (Drummond classes)

The first incarnation of Highland Railway's 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives were introduced in 1900 by Peter Drummond. The first six (nos. 140 to 145) were built by Dübs of Glasgow and were delivered in June of that year. Four more (nos. 146 to 149), also built by Dübs, were received in July 1902 and a further two (nos. 30 and 35) were built by the North British Locomotive Co. in 1910 and 1911 respectively. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 147 'Beaufort Castle' at Perth in 1912. It was numbered 14682 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in November 1943.