Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 27 'Thurso Castle' & HR 57 'Clan Cameron' on train leaving Perth
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_006_069
PLACENAME
Perth
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
PERTH
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25549
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
HR 27 'Thurso Castle' & HR 57 'Clan Cameron' on train leaving Perth

A second batch of four of 'Castle' class engines were ordered by the Highland Railway during Frederick Smith's term as locomotive superintendent. They were built by the North British Locomotive Co and delivered in 1913. Numbered 26, 27, 28 and 43 they contained slight modifications from the previous batch. These included longer buffers, larger domes and extended smokeboxes. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.

This photograph shows HR 27 'Thurso Castle' and 57 'Clan Cameron' on train leaving Perth. 'Thurso Castle was numbered 14688 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in February 1935. 'Clan Cameron' was built by Hawthorn Leslie in 1921.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 27 'Thurso Castle' & HR 57 'Clan Cameron' on train leaving Perth

PERTH

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 4 (Smith classes)

A second batch of four of 'Castle' class engines were ordered by the Highland Railway during Frederick Smith's term as locomotive superintendent. They were built by the North British Locomotive Co and delivered in 1913. Numbered 26, 27, 28 and 43 they contained slight modifications from the previous batch. These included longer buffers, larger domes and extended smokeboxes. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 27 'Thurso Castle' and 57 'Clan Cameron' on train leaving Perth. 'Thurso Castle was numbered 14688 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in February 1935. 'Clan Cameron' was built by Hawthorn Leslie in 1921.