Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 14678 'Gordon Castle' on a passenger train
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_006_124
PLACENAME
unidentified
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25600
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
LMS 14678 'Gordon Castle' on a passenger train

The first incarnation of Highland Railway's 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives were introduced in 1900 by Peter Drummond. The first six (nos. 140 to 145) were built by Dübs of Glasgow and were delivered in June of that year. Four more (nos. 146 to 149), also built by Dübs, were received in July 1902 and a further two (nos. 30 and 35) were built by the North British Locomotive Co. in 1910 and 1911 respectively. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.

This photograph shows LMS 14678 'Gordon Castle' (formerly HR 143) on a passenger train. The second Highland Railway loco to bear that name, it was numbered 14678 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in February 1946.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 14678 'Gordon Castle' on a passenger train

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 3 (Drummond classes)

The first incarnation of Highland Railway's 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives were introduced in 1900 by Peter Drummond. The first six (nos. 140 to 145) were built by Dübs of Glasgow and were delivered in June of that year. Four more (nos. 146 to 149), also built by Dübs, were received in July 1902 and a further two (nos. 30 and 35) were built by the North British Locomotive Co. in 1910 and 1911 respectively. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows LMS 14678 'Gordon Castle' (formerly HR 143) on a passenger train. The second Highland Railway loco to bear that name, it was numbered 14678 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in February 1946.