Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Unidentified HR 'Castle' class locomotive
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_006_142
PLACENAME
unidentified
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25618
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
Unidentified HR 'Castle' class locomotive

The first incarnation of Highland Railway's 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives were introduced in 1900 by Peter Drummond. The first six (nos. 140 to 145) were built by Dübs of Glasgow and were delivered in June of that year. Four more (nos. 146 to 149), also built by Dübs, were received in July 1902 and a further two (nos. 30 and 35) were built by the North British Locomotive Co. in 1910 and 1911 respectively. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.

A second batch of four of 'Castle' class engines were ordered by the Highland Railway during Frederick Smith's term as locomotive superintendent. They were built by the North British Locomotive Co and delivered in 1913. Numbered 26, 27, 28 and 43 they contained slight modifications from the previous batch. These included longer buffers, larger domes and extended smokeboxes. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation.

The third and final batch of 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives was introduced by the Highland Railway in the spring of 1917. Three engines were built by the North British Locomotive Co. Numbered 50, 58 and 59 they differed from the previous batches by having larger driving wheels, slightly longer boilers and six-wheeled tenders. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation.

This photograph shows an unidentified Highland Railway 'Castle'class locomotive.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Unidentified HR 'Castle' class locomotive

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 3 (Drummond classes)

The first incarnation of Highland Railway's 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives were introduced in 1900 by Peter Drummond. The first six (nos. 140 to 145) were built by Dübs of Glasgow and were delivered in June of that year. Four more (nos. 146 to 149), also built by Dübs, were received in July 1902 and a further two (nos. 30 and 35) were built by the North British Locomotive Co. in 1910 and 1911 respectively. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.<br /> <br /> A second batch of four of 'Castle' class engines were ordered by the Highland Railway during Frederick Smith's term as locomotive superintendent. They were built by the North British Locomotive Co and delivered in 1913. Numbered 26, 27, 28 and 43 they contained slight modifications from the previous batch. These included longer buffers, larger domes and extended smokeboxes. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation.<br /> <br /> The third and final batch of 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives was introduced by the Highland Railway in the spring of 1917. Three engines were built by the North British Locomotive Co. Numbered 50, 58 and 59 they differed from the previous batches by having larger driving wheels, slightly longer boilers and six-wheeled tenders. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows an unidentified Highland Railway 'Castle'class locomotive.