Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 50 'Brodie Castle' at Aviemore with 'Ben Macdhui' in the background
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_006_151
PLACENAME
Aviemore
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25624
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
HR 50 'Brodie Castle' at Aviemore with 'Ben Macdhui' in the background

The third and final batch of 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives was introduced by the Highland Railway in the spring of 1917. Three engines were built by the North British Locomotive Co. Numbered 50, 58 and 59 they differed from the previous batches by having larger driving wheels, slightly longer boilers and six-wheeled tenders. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.

This photograph shows HR 50 'Brodie Castle' at Aviemore. It was numbered 14691 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in September 1938. HR 11 'Ben Macdhui' can be seen in the background.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 50 'Brodie Castle' at Aviemore with 'Ben Macdhui' in the background

INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 5 (Cumming classes)

The third and final batch of 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives was introduced by the Highland Railway in the spring of 1917. Three engines were built by the North British Locomotive Co. Numbered 50, 58 and 59 they differed from the previous batches by having larger driving wheels, slightly longer boilers and six-wheeled tenders. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 50 'Brodie Castle' at Aviemore. It was numbered 14691 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in September 1938. HR 11 'Ben Macdhui' can be seen in the background.