Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 14690 'Dalcross Castle' at Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_006_152
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1920s; 1930s; 1940s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25625
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
LMS 14690 'Dalcross Castle' at Inverness

A second batch of four of 'Castle' class engines were ordered by the Highland Railway during Frederick Smith's term as locomotive superintendent. They were built by the North British Locomotive Co and delivered in 1913. Numbered 26, 27, 28 and 43 they contained slight modifications from the previous batch. These included longer buffers, larger domes and extended smokeboxes. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.

This photograph shows LMS 14690 'Dalcross Castle' (formerly HR 29) at Inverness. It was withdrawn from service in April 1947.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 14690 'Dalcross Castle' at Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1920s; 1930s; 1940s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 4 (Smith classes)

A second batch of four of 'Castle' class engines were ordered by the Highland Railway during Frederick Smith's term as locomotive superintendent. They were built by the North British Locomotive Co and delivered in 1913. Numbered 26, 27, 28 and 43 they contained slight modifications from the previous batch. These included longer buffers, larger domes and extended smokeboxes. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows LMS 14690 'Dalcross Castle' (formerly HR 29) at Inverness. It was withdrawn from service in April 1947.