Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 14682 'Beaufort Castle' at Inverness, June 1936
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_006_190
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
11 June 1936
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25658
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
LMS 14682 'Beaufort Castle' at Inverness, June 1936

The first incarnation of Highland Railway's 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives were introduced in 1900 by Peter Drummond. The first six (nos. 140 to 145) were built by Dübs of Glasgow and were delivered in June of that year. Four more (nos. 146 to 149), also built by Dübs, were received in July 1902 and a further two (nos. 30 and 35) were built by the North British Locomotive Co. in 1910 and 1911 respectively. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.

This photograph shows LMS 14682 'Beaufort Castle' (formerly HR 147) at Inverness in June 1936. It was withdrawn from service in November 1943.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 14682 'Beaufort Castle' at Inverness, June 1936

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1930s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 3 (Drummond classes)

The first incarnation of Highland Railway's 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives were introduced in 1900 by Peter Drummond. The first six (nos. 140 to 145) were built by Dübs of Glasgow and were delivered in June of that year. Four more (nos. 146 to 149), also built by Dübs, were received in July 1902 and a further two (nos. 30 and 35) were built by the North British Locomotive Co. in 1910 and 1911 respectively. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows LMS 14682 'Beaufort Castle' (formerly HR 147) at Inverness in June 1936. It was withdrawn from service in November 1943.