Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 28 'Cluny Castle' leaving Inverness for Wick, September 1923
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_006_205
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
September 1923
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25673
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
HR 28 'Cluny Castle' leaving Inverness for Wick, September 1923

A second batch of four of 'Castle' class engines were ordered by the Highland Railway during Frederick Smith's term as locomotive superintendent. They were built by the North British Locomotive Co and delivered in 1913. Numbered 26, 27, 28 and 43 they contained slight modifications from the previous batch. These included longer buffers, larger domes and extended smokeboxes. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.

This photograph shows HR 28 'Cluny Castle' leaving Inverness for Wick in September 1923. It was numbered 14689 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in September 1944.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 28 'Cluny Castle' leaving Inverness for Wick, September 1923

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1920s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 4 (Smith classes)

A second batch of four of 'Castle' class engines were ordered by the Highland Railway during Frederick Smith's term as locomotive superintendent. They were built by the North British Locomotive Co and delivered in 1913. Numbered 26, 27, 28 and 43 they contained slight modifications from the previous batch. These included longer buffers, larger domes and extended smokeboxes. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 28 'Cluny Castle' leaving Inverness for Wick in September 1923. It was numbered 14689 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in September 1944.