Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 50 'Brodie Castle' at Perth, October 1922
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_006_212
PLACENAME
Perth
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
PERTH
DATE OF IMAGE
28 October 1922
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25680
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
HR 50 'Brodie Castle' at Perth, October 1922

The third and final batch of 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives was introduced by the Highland Railway in the spring of 1917. Three engines were built by the North British Locomotive Co. Numbered 50, 58 and 59 they differed from the previous batches by having larger driving wheels, slightly longer boilers and six-wheeled tenders. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.

This photograph shows HR 50 'Brodie Castle' at Perth in October 1922. It was numbered 14691 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in September 1938.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 50 'Brodie Castle' at Perth, October 1922

PERTH

1920s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 5 (Cumming classes)

The third and final batch of 'Castle' class express passenger locomotives was introduced by the Highland Railway in the spring of 1917. Three engines were built by the North British Locomotive Co. Numbered 50, 58 and 59 they differed from the previous batches by having larger driving wheels, slightly longer boilers and six-wheeled tenders. All passed into LMS ownership and all had been withdrawn before nationalisation in 1948.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 50 'Brodie Castle' at Perth in October 1922. It was numbered 14691 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in September 1938.