Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 135 awaiting repair at Newcastle, January 1920
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_007_233
PLACENAME
Newcastle upon Tyne
DATE OF IMAGE
29 January 1920
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25701
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
HR 135 awaiting repair at Newcastle, January 1920

The Highland Railway's 'Barney' class of 0-6-0 locomotive was designed by Peter Drummond to pull goods traffic but they frequently found themselves on passenger service duty. A total of 12 were built. The first six (numbered 134 to 139) were built by Dübs & Co. in Glasgow and delivered in February 1900. They had 8-wheeled tenders. A second batch of four engines (number 18 to 21) also built by Dübs & Co, were delivered in August 1902. A final pair was built by the North British Locomotive Company in July 1907. All 12 locomotives survived long into the LMS ownership and five were still in use after nationalisation in 1948.

This photograph shows HR 135 awaiting repair at Newcastle upon Tyne in January 1920. It was numbered 17694 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in February 1950.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 135 awaiting repair at Newcastle, January 1920

1920s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 3 (Drummond classes)

The Highland Railway's 'Barney' class of 0-6-0 locomotive was designed by Peter Drummond to pull goods traffic but they frequently found themselves on passenger service duty. A total of 12 were built. The first six (numbered 134 to 139) were built by Dübs & Co. in Glasgow and delivered in February 1900. They had 8-wheeled tenders. A second batch of four engines (number 18 to 21) also built by Dübs & Co, were delivered in August 1902. A final pair was built by the North British Locomotive Company in July 1907. All 12 locomotives survived long into the LMS ownership and five were still in use after nationalisation in 1948.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 135 awaiting repair at Newcastle upon Tyne in January 1920. It was numbered 17694 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in February 1950.