Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Unidentified HR 'Barney' class locomotive taking on water at Blair Atholl
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_007_278
PLACENAME
Blair Atholl
DISTRICT
Perthshire - Highland
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
PERTH: Blair Atholl
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25743
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
Unidentified HR 'Barney' class locomotive taking on water at Blair Atholl

The Highland Railway's 'Barney' class of 0-6-0 locomotive was designed by Peter Drummond to pull goods traffic but they frequently found themselves on passenger service duty. A total of 12 were built. The first six (numbered 134 to 139) were built by Dübs & Co. in Glasgow and delivered in February 1900. They had 8-wheeled tenders. A second batch of four engines (number 18 to 21) also built by Dübs & Co, were delivered in August 1902. A final pair was built by the North British Locomotive Company in July 1907. All 12 locomotives survived long into the LMS ownership and five were still in use after nationalisation in 1948.

This photograph shows an unidentified 'Barney' class loco in Highland Railway livery taking on water at Blair Atholl.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Unidentified HR 'Barney' class locomotive taking on water at Blair Atholl

PERTH: Blair Atholl

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 3 (Drummond classes)

The Highland Railway's 'Barney' class of 0-6-0 locomotive was designed by Peter Drummond to pull goods traffic but they frequently found themselves on passenger service duty. A total of 12 were built. The first six (numbered 134 to 139) were built by Dübs & Co. in Glasgow and delivered in February 1900. They had 8-wheeled tenders. A second batch of four engines (number 18 to 21) also built by Dübs & Co, were delivered in August 1902. A final pair was built by the North British Locomotive Company in July 1907. All 12 locomotives survived long into the LMS ownership and five were still in use after nationalisation in 1948.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows an unidentified 'Barney' class loco in Highland Railway livery taking on water at Blair Atholl.