Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 134 with an 8-wheel tender
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_007_291
PLACENAME
unidentified
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25756
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
HR 134 with an 8-wheel tender

The Highland Railway's 'Barney' class of 0-6-0 locomotive was designed by Peter Drummond to pull goods traffic but they frequently found themselves on passenger service duty. A total of 12 were built. The first six (numbered 134 to 139) were built by Dübs & Co. in Glasgow and delivered in February 1900. They had 8-wheeled tenders. A second batch of four engines (number 18 to 21) also built by Dübs & Co, were delivered in August 1902. A final pair was built by the North British Locomotive Company in July 1907. All 12 locomotives survived long into the LMS ownership and five were still in use after nationalisation in 1948.

This photograph shows HR 134 with an 8-wheel tender. It was numbered 17693 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in June 1949.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 134 with an 8-wheel tender

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 3 (Drummond classes)

The Highland Railway's 'Barney' class of 0-6-0 locomotive was designed by Peter Drummond to pull goods traffic but they frequently found themselves on passenger service duty. A total of 12 were built. The first six (numbered 134 to 139) were built by Dübs & Co. in Glasgow and delivered in February 1900. They had 8-wheeled tenders. A second batch of four engines (number 18 to 21) also built by Dübs & Co, were delivered in August 1902. A final pair was built by the North British Locomotive Company in July 1907. All 12 locomotives survived long into the LMS ownership and five were still in use after nationalisation in 1948.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 134 with an 8-wheel tender. It was numbered 17693 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in June 1949.