Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 17696 at Inverness, June 1928
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_007_297
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
18 June 1936
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25762
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
LMS 17696 at Inverness, June 1928

The Highland Railway's 'Barney' class of 0-6-0 locomotive was designed by Peter Drummond to pull goods traffic but they frequently found themselves on passenger service duty. A total of 12 were built. The first six (numbered 134 to 139) were built by Dübs & Co. in Glasgow and delivered in February 1900. They had 8-wheeled tenders. A second batch of four engines (number 18 to 21) also built by Dübs & Co, were delivered in August 1902. A final pair was built by the North British Locomotive Company in July 1907. All 12 locomotives survived long into the LMS ownership and five were still in use after nationalisation in 1948.

This photograph shows LMS 17696 (previously HR 137) at Inverness in June 1928. It continued in service until being withdrawn in March 1946.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 17696 at Inverness, June 1928

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1930s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 3 (Drummond classes)

The Highland Railway's 'Barney' class of 0-6-0 locomotive was designed by Peter Drummond to pull goods traffic but they frequently found themselves on passenger service duty. A total of 12 were built. The first six (numbered 134 to 139) were built by Dübs & Co. in Glasgow and delivered in February 1900. They had 8-wheeled tenders. A second batch of four engines (number 18 to 21) also built by Dübs & Co, were delivered in August 1902. A final pair was built by the North British Locomotive Company in July 1907. All 12 locomotives survived long into the LMS ownership and five were still in use after nationalisation in 1948.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows LMS 17696 (previously HR 137) at Inverness in June 1928. It continued in service until being withdrawn in March 1946.