Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 17699 at Dingwall, June 1936
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_007_303
PLACENAME
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Dingwall
DATE OF IMAGE
11 June 1936
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25768
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
LMS 17699 at Dingwall, June 1936

The Highland Railway's 'Barney' class of 0-6-0 locomotive was designed by Peter Drummond to pull goods traffic but they frequently found themselves on passenger service duty. A total of 12 were built. The first six (numbered 134 to 139) were built by Dübs & Co. in Glasgow and delivered in February 1900. They had 8-wheeled tenders. A second batch of four engines (number 18 to 21) also built by Dübs & Co, were delivered in August 1902. A final pair was built by the North British Locomotive Company in July 1907. All 12 locomotives survived long into the LMS ownership and five were still in use after nationalisation in 1948.

This photograph shows LMS 17699 (previously HR 18) at Dingwall in June 1936. It continued in service until being withdrawn in February 1949.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 17699 at Dingwall, June 1936

ROSS: Dingwall

1930s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 3 (Drummond classes)

The Highland Railway's 'Barney' class of 0-6-0 locomotive was designed by Peter Drummond to pull goods traffic but they frequently found themselves on passenger service duty. A total of 12 were built. The first six (numbered 134 to 139) were built by Dübs & Co. in Glasgow and delivered in February 1900. They had 8-wheeled tenders. A second batch of four engines (number 18 to 21) also built by Dübs & Co, were delivered in August 1902. A final pair was built by the North British Locomotive Company in July 1907. All 12 locomotives survived long into the LMS ownership and five were still in use after nationalisation in 1948.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows LMS 17699 (previously HR 18) at Dingwall in June 1936. It continued in service until being withdrawn in February 1949.