Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
BR 55053 at The Mound, September 1954
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_008_353
PLACENAME
The Mound
DATE OF IMAGE
September 1954
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25815
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
BR 55053 at The Mound, September 1954

In 1905/06 the Highland Railway built four 0-4-4 tank engines to work on its various small branch lines. Numbered 25, 40, 45 and 46, they were the last locomotives to be built at the company's Lochgorm works in Inverness. Two of the class survived well into the days of British Railways.

This photograph shows BR 55053 (previously HR 45) at The Mound station on the Dornoch branch line in September 1954. It continued in service until eventually being withdrawn in January 1957. It was the last HR engine in service.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

BR 55053 at The Mound, September 1954

1950s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 3 (Drummond classes)

In 1905/06 the Highland Railway built four 0-4-4 tank engines to work on its various small branch lines. Numbered 25, 40, 45 and 46, they were the last locomotives to be built at the company's Lochgorm works in Inverness. Two of the class survived well into the days of British Railways.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows BR 55053 (previously HR 45) at The Mound station on the Dornoch branch line in September 1954. It continued in service until eventually being withdrawn in January 1957. It was the last HR engine in service.