Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
BR 55051 at The Mound station, April 1951
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_008_384
PLACENAME
The Mound
DATE OF IMAGE
25 April 1951
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25846
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
BR 55051 at The Mound station, April 1951

In 1905/06 the Highland Railway built four 0-4-4 tank engines to work on its various small branch lines. Numbered 25, 40, 45 and 46, they were the last locomotives to be built at the company's Lochgorm works in Inverness. Two of the class survived well into the days of British Railways.

This photograph shows BR 55051 (previously HR 25 'Strathpeffer') at The Mound station, on the Dornoch branch line, in April 1951. It continued in service until eventually being withdrawn in August 1956.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

BR 55051 at The Mound station, April 1951

1950s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 3 (Drummond classes)

In 1905/06 the Highland Railway built four 0-4-4 tank engines to work on its various small branch lines. Numbered 25, 40, 45 and 46, they were the last locomotives to be built at the company's Lochgorm works in Inverness. Two of the class survived well into the days of British Railways.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows BR 55051 (previously HR 25 'Strathpeffer') at The Mound station, on the Dornoch branch line, in April 1951. It continued in service until eventually being withdrawn in August 1956.