Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 60 'Ben Bhreac Mhor' at Inverness, July 1915
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_008_397
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1 July 1915
PERIOD
1910s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25858
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
HR 60 'Ben Bhreac Mhor' at Inverness, July 1915

In May 1908 the Highland Railway took delivery of four 4-4-0 locomotives from the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow. They were very similar in design to the 'Ben' class of a decade earlier but had larger boilers. This gave rise to their being referred to as the 'Big Bens' and their predecessors as 'Small Bens'. The first batch (numbered 61, 63, 66 and 68) had 6-wheeled tenders. A year later, two more engines (numbered 60 and 62) were ordered from the same builders. These had 8-wheeled tenders. All six survived into LMS ownership but all had been withdrawn long before nationalisation.

This photograph shows HR 60 'Ben Bhreac Mhor'at Inverness in July 1915. It was numbered 14421 by the LMS and in 1924 was renamed 'Ben Bhreac' Mhor'. It continued in service until being withdrawn in October 1932.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 60 'Ben Bhreac Mhor' at Inverness, July 1915

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1910s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 3 (Drummond classes)

In May 1908 the Highland Railway took delivery of four 4-4-0 locomotives from the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow. They were very similar in design to the 'Ben' class of a decade earlier but had larger boilers. This gave rise to their being referred to as the 'Big Bens' and their predecessors as 'Small Bens'. The first batch (numbered 61, 63, 66 and 68) had 6-wheeled tenders. A year later, two more engines (numbered 60 and 62) were ordered from the same builders. These had 8-wheeled tenders. All six survived into LMS ownership but all had been withdrawn long before nationalisation.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 60 'Ben Bhreac Mhor'at Inverness in July 1915. It was numbered 14421 by the LMS and in 1924 was renamed 'Ben Bhreac' Mhor'. It continued in service until being withdrawn in October 1932.