Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 61 'Ben na Caillich' builder's photograph
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_008_412
PLACENAME
unidentified
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25870
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
HR 61 'Ben na Caillich' builder's photograph

In May 1908 the Highland Railway took delivery of four 4-4-0 locomotives from the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow. They were very similar in design to the 'Ben' class of a decade earlier but had larger boilers. This gave rise to their being referred to as the 'Big Bens' and their predecessors as 'Small Bens'. The first batch (numbered 61, 63, 66 and 68) had 6-wheeled tenders. A year later, two more engines (numbered 60 and 62) were ordered from the same builders. These had 8-wheeled tenders. All six survived into LMS ownership but all had been withdrawn long before nationalisation.

This photograph shows HR 61 'Ben na Caillich'shortly after it was completed. It was numbered 14417 by the LMS and in 1926 was renamed 'Ben na Caillach'. It continued in service until being withdrawn in May 1936.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 61 'Ben na Caillich' builder's photograph

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 3 (Drummond classes)

In May 1908 the Highland Railway took delivery of four 4-4-0 locomotives from the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow. They were very similar in design to the 'Ben' class of a decade earlier but had larger boilers. This gave rise to their being referred to as the 'Big Bens' and their predecessors as 'Small Bens'. The first batch (numbered 61, 63, 66 and 68) had 6-wheeled tenders. A year later, two more engines (numbered 60 and 62) were ordered from the same builders. These had 8-wheeled tenders. All six survived into LMS ownership but all had been withdrawn long before nationalisation.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 61 'Ben na Caillich'shortly after it was completed. It was numbered 14417 by the LMS and in 1926 was renamed 'Ben na Caillach'. It continued in service until being withdrawn in May 1936.