Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 14417 'Ben na Caillich' at Perth, 1932
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_008_413a
PLACENAME
Perth
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
PERTH
DATE OF IMAGE
1932
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25872
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
LMS 14417 'Ben na Caillich' at Perth, 1932

In May 1908 the Highland Railway took delivery of four 4-4-0 locomotives from the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow. They were very similar in design to the 'Ben' class of a decade earlier but had larger boilers. This gave rise to their being referred to as the 'Big Bens' and their predecessors as 'Small Bens'. The first batch (numbered 61, 63, 66 and 68) had 6-wheeled tenders. A year later, two more engines (numbered 60 and 62) were ordered from the same builders. These had 8-wheeled tenders. All six survived into LMS ownership but all had been withdrawn long before nationalisation.

This photograph shows LMS 14417 'Ben na Caillach'(formerly HR 61) at Perth in 1932. It was withdrawn from service in May 1936. Its name was originally spelt 'Ben na Caillach' but this was changed in 1926.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 14417 'Ben na Caillich' at Perth, 1932

PERTH

1930s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 3 (Drummond classes)

In May 1908 the Highland Railway took delivery of four 4-4-0 locomotives from the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow. They were very similar in design to the 'Ben' class of a decade earlier but had larger boilers. This gave rise to their being referred to as the 'Big Bens' and their predecessors as 'Small Bens'. The first batch (numbered 61, 63, 66 and 68) had 6-wheeled tenders. A year later, two more engines (numbered 60 and 62) were ordered from the same builders. These had 8-wheeled tenders. All six survived into LMS ownership but all had been withdrawn long before nationalisation.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows LMS 14417 'Ben na Caillach'(formerly HR 61) at Perth in 1932. It was withdrawn from service in May 1936. Its name was originally spelt 'Ben na Caillach' but this was changed in 1926.