Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 14422 'Ben a' Chaoruinn' at Keith shed, September 1936
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_008_428
PLACENAME
Keith
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE
DATE OF IMAGE
11 September 1936
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25886
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
LMS 14422 'Ben a' Chaoruinn' at Keith shed, September 1936

In May 1908 the Highland Railway took delivery of four 4-4-0 locomotives from the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow. They were very similar in design to the 'Ben' class of a decade earlier but had larger boilers. This gave rise to their being referred to as the 'Big Bens' and their predecessors as 'Small Bens'. The first batch (numbered 61, 63, 66 and 68) had 6-wheeled tenders. A year later, two more engines (numbered 60 and 62) were ordered from the same builders. These had 8-wheeled tenders. All six survived into LMS ownership but all had been withdrawn long before nationalisation.

This photograph shows LMS 14422 'Ben a'Chaoruinn'(formerly HR 62) outside Keith shed in September 1936. It was withdrawn from service in March 1937. Its name had previously been spelt 'Ben a' Chaoruinn' and 'Ben Achaoruinn'.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 14422 'Ben a' Chaoruinn' at Keith shed, September 1936

MORAYSHIRE

1930s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 3 (Drummond classes)

In May 1908 the Highland Railway took delivery of four 4-4-0 locomotives from the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow. They were very similar in design to the 'Ben' class of a decade earlier but had larger boilers. This gave rise to their being referred to as the 'Big Bens' and their predecessors as 'Small Bens'. The first batch (numbered 61, 63, 66 and 68) had 6-wheeled tenders. A year later, two more engines (numbered 60 and 62) were ordered from the same builders. These had 8-wheeled tenders. All six survived into LMS ownership but all had been withdrawn long before nationalisation.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows LMS 14422 'Ben a'Chaoruinn'(formerly HR 62) outside Keith shed in September 1936. It was withdrawn from service in March 1937. Its name had previously been spelt 'Ben a' Chaoruinn' and 'Ben Achaoruinn'.