Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 14418 'Ben Mheadhoin' at Inverness on the 2.15 to Aviemore, May 1930
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_008_435
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
26 May 1930
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25890
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
LMS 14418 'Ben Mheadhoin' at Inverness on the 2.15 to Aviemore, May 1930

In May 1908 the Highland Railway took delivery of four 4-4-0 locomotives from the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow. They were very similar in design to the 'Ben' class of a decade earlier but had larger boilers. This gave rise to their being referred to as the 'Big Bens' and their predecessors as 'Small Bens'. The first batch (numbered 61, 63, 66 and 68) had 6-wheeled tenders. A year later, two more engines (numbered 60 and 62) were ordered from the same builders. These had 8-wheeled tenders. All six survived into LMS ownership but all had been withdrawn long before nationalisation.

This photograph shows LMS 14418 'Ben Mheadhoin' (formerly HR 63) at Inverness on the 2.15pm train to Aviemore in May 1930. It was withdrawn from service in December 1932.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 14418 'Ben Mheadhoin' at Inverness on the 2.15 to Aviemore, May 1930

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1930s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 3 (Drummond classes)

In May 1908 the Highland Railway took delivery of four 4-4-0 locomotives from the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow. They were very similar in design to the 'Ben' class of a decade earlier but had larger boilers. This gave rise to their being referred to as the 'Big Bens' and their predecessors as 'Small Bens'. The first batch (numbered 61, 63, 66 and 68) had 6-wheeled tenders. A year later, two more engines (numbered 60 and 62) were ordered from the same builders. These had 8-wheeled tenders. All six survived into LMS ownership but all had been withdrawn long before nationalisation.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows LMS 14418 'Ben Mheadhoin' (formerly HR 63) at Inverness on the 2.15pm train to Aviemore in May 1930. It was withdrawn from service in December 1932.