Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 14419 'Ben Mholach' at Aviemore, June 1934
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_008_439
PLACENAME
Aviemore
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus
DATE OF IMAGE
June 1934
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25893
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
LMS 14419 'Ben Mholach' at Aviemore, June 1934

In May 1908 the Highland Railway took delivery of four 4-4-0 locomotives from the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow. They were very similar in design to the 'Ben' class of a decade earlier but had larger boilers. This gave rise to their being referred to as the 'Big Bens' and their predecessors as 'Small Bens'. The first batch (numbered 61, 63, 66 and 68) had 6-wheeled tenders. A year later, two more engines (numbered 60 and 62) were ordered from the same builders. These had 8-wheeled tenders. All six survived into LMS ownership but all had been withdrawn long before nationalisation.

This photograph shows LMS 14419 'Ben Mholach' (formerly HR 64 and 66) at Aviemore in June 1934. It was withdrawn from service in October 1935.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 14419 'Ben Mholach' at Aviemore, June 1934

INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus

1930s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 3 (Drummond classes)

In May 1908 the Highland Railway took delivery of four 4-4-0 locomotives from the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow. They were very similar in design to the 'Ben' class of a decade earlier but had larger boilers. This gave rise to their being referred to as the 'Big Bens' and their predecessors as 'Small Bens'. The first batch (numbered 61, 63, 66 and 68) had 6-wheeled tenders. A year later, two more engines (numbered 60 and 62) were ordered from the same builders. These had 8-wheeled tenders. All six survived into LMS ownership but all had been withdrawn long before nationalisation.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows LMS 14419 'Ben Mholach' (formerly HR 64 and 66) at Aviemore in June 1934. It was withdrawn from service in October 1935.