Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 65 'Ben a' Chait' at Inverness, July 1922
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_008_451
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
22 July 1922
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25904
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
HR 65 'Ben a' Chait' at Inverness, July 1922

In May 1908 the Highland Railway took delivery of four 4-4-0 locomotives from the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow. They were very similar in design to the 'Ben' class of a decade earlier but had larger boilers. This gave rise to their being referred to as the 'Big Bens' and their predecessors as 'Small Bens'. The first batch (numbered 61, 63, 66 and 68) had 6-wheeled tenders. A year later, two more engines (numbered 60 and 62) were ordered from the same builders. These had 8-wheeled tenders. All six survived into LMS ownership but all had been withdrawn long before nationalisation.

This photograph shows HR 65 'Ben a' Chait' at Inverness in July 1922. For the first year of its life it carried the number 68. It was numbered 14420 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in April 1934.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 65 'Ben a' Chait' at Inverness, July 1922

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1920s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 3 (Drummond classes)

In May 1908 the Highland Railway took delivery of four 4-4-0 locomotives from the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow. They were very similar in design to the 'Ben' class of a decade earlier but had larger boilers. This gave rise to their being referred to as the 'Big Bens' and their predecessors as 'Small Bens'. The first batch (numbered 61, 63, 66 and 68) had 6-wheeled tenders. A year later, two more engines (numbered 60 and 62) were ordered from the same builders. These had 8-wheeled tenders. All six survived into LMS ownership but all had been withdrawn long before nationalisation.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 65 'Ben a' Chait' at Inverness in July 1922. For the first year of its life it carried the number 68. It was numbered 14420 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in April 1934.