Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 66 at Hawthorn Leslie's yard, Newcastle
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_008_461
PLACENAME
Newcastle upon Tyne
DATE OF IMAGE
10 November 1919
PERIOD
1910s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25912
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
HR 66 at Hawthorn Leslie's yard, Newcastle

The last locomotive introduced to the Highland Railway by Peter Drummond was a class of 0-6-4 tank engine designed to perform banking duties (banking engines were attached to the rear of a train to help it up a steep incline). These 'Banking Tanks' were generally kept at Blair Atholl and from there would help trains ascend the summit at Drumochter.

A total of eight were built by the North British Locomotive Co in Glasgow. The first batch of four (numbered 39, 64, 65 and 69) were delivered in June 1909. The rest (numbered 29, 31, 42 and 44) were delivered between August 1910 and April 1912. In addition to their banking duties they were regularly put to work on local passenger and goods services. All survived into LMS ownership.

This photograph shows HR 66 at Hawthorn Leslie's yard at Newcastle upon Tyne. It originally had the number 64 but this was changed shortly after its arrival to allow the original number to go to the 'Big Ben' class. It was numbered 15301 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in October 1934.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 66 at Hawthorn Leslie's yard, Newcastle

1910s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 3 (Drummond classes)

The last locomotive introduced to the Highland Railway by Peter Drummond was a class of 0-6-4 tank engine designed to perform banking duties (banking engines were attached to the rear of a train to help it up a steep incline). These 'Banking Tanks' were generally kept at Blair Atholl and from there would help trains ascend the summit at Drumochter. <br /> <br /> A total of eight were built by the North British Locomotive Co in Glasgow. The first batch of four (numbered 39, 64, 65 and 69) were delivered in June 1909. The rest (numbered 29, 31, 42 and 44) were delivered between August 1910 and April 1912. In addition to their banking duties they were regularly put to work on local passenger and goods services. All survived into LMS ownership.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 66 at Hawthorn Leslie's yard at Newcastle upon Tyne. It originally had the number 64 but this was changed shortly after its arrival to allow the original number to go to the 'Big Ben' class. It was numbered 15301 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in October 1934.