Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 39 painted in workshop grey
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_008_486
PLACENAME
Glasgow
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25934
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
HR 39 painted in workshop grey

The last locomotive introduced to the Highland Railway by Peter Drummond was a class of 0-6-4 tank engine designed to perform banking duties (banking engines were attached to the rear of a train to help it up a steep incline). These 'Banking Tanks' were generally kept at Blair Atholl and from there would help trains ascend the summit at Drumochter.

A total of eight were built by the North British Locomotive Co in Glasgow. The first batch of four (numbered 39, 64, 65 and 69) were delivered in June 1909. The rest (numbered 29, 31, 42 and 44) were delivered between August 1910 and April 1912. In addition to their banking duties they were regularly put to work on local passenger and goods services. All survived into LMS ownership.

This photograph shows HR 39 shortly after completion and painted in workshop grey. It was numbered 15300 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in December 1936.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 39 painted in workshop grey

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 3 (Drummond classes)

The last locomotive introduced to the Highland Railway by Peter Drummond was a class of 0-6-4 tank engine designed to perform banking duties (banking engines were attached to the rear of a train to help it up a steep incline). These 'Banking Tanks' were generally kept at Blair Atholl and from there would help trains ascend the summit at Drumochter. <br /> <br /> A total of eight were built by the North British Locomotive Co in Glasgow. The first batch of four (numbered 39, 64, 65 and 69) were delivered in June 1909. The rest (numbered 29, 31, 42 and 44) were delivered between August 1910 and April 1912. In addition to their banking duties they were regularly put to work on local passenger and goods services. All survived into LMS ownership.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows HR 39 shortly after completion and painted in workshop grey. It was numbered 15300 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in December 1936.