Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 14759 on the turntable at Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_008_504
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1920s; 1930s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
25952
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
LMS 14759 on the turntable at Inverness

Six 4-6-0 'River'class locomotives were ordered by the Highland Railway from Hawthorn Leslie. The first two (70 'River Ness'and 71 'River Tay') were delivered in September 1915 but it became immediately apparent that they were too heavy for the bridges and much of the track of the Highland Railway. These and the remaining four engines were sold to the Caledonian Railway where they were numbered 938 to 943. After 1923, the LMS strengthened the mainline between Inverness and Perth and so the locos did eventually work on Highland rails. The debacle surrounding the 'River'class caused the resignation of Frederick Smith as Chief Mechanical Engineer. He had held the post since 1912.

This photograph shows LMS 14759 (previously CR 941) on the turntable at Inverness. It was withdrawn from service in February 1939.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 14759 on the turntable at Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1920s; 1930s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 4 (Smith classes)

Six 4-6-0 'River'class locomotives were ordered by the Highland Railway from Hawthorn Leslie. The first two (70 'River Ness'and 71 'River Tay') were delivered in September 1915 but it became immediately apparent that they were too heavy for the bridges and much of the track of the Highland Railway. These and the remaining four engines were sold to the Caledonian Railway where they were numbered 938 to 943. After 1923, the LMS strengthened the mainline between Inverness and Perth and so the locos did eventually work on Highland rails. The debacle surrounding the 'River'class caused the resignation of Frederick Smith as Chief Mechanical Engineer. He had held the post since 1912.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows LMS 14759 (previously CR 941) on the turntable at Inverness. It was withdrawn from service in February 1939.