Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 17952 on the turntable at Inverness roundhouse, July 1939
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_009_578
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
July 1939
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
26019
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
LMS 17952 on the turntable at Inverness roundhouse, July 1939

In 1918 the Highland Railway took delivery of four 4-6-0 tender locomotives. These were essentially an updated version of the Jones 'Big Goods' class of 1894. A further batch of four was delivered the following year. All were built by Hawthorn Leslie in Newcastle upon Tyne. Numbered 75 to 82, they were known collectively as the 'Superheated Goods'. All but two of the class lasted into British Rail days.

This photograph shows LMS 17952 (previously HR 77) on the turntable at Inverness roundhouse in July 1939. It was withdrawn from service in October 1946.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 17952 on the turntable at Inverness roundhouse, July 1939

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1930s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 5 (Cumming classes)

In 1918 the Highland Railway took delivery of four 4-6-0 tender locomotives. These were essentially an updated version of the Jones 'Big Goods' class of 1894. A further batch of four was delivered the following year. All were built by Hawthorn Leslie in Newcastle upon Tyne. Numbered 75 to 82, they were known collectively as the 'Superheated Goods'. All but two of the class lasted into British Rail days.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows LMS 17952 (previously HR 77) on the turntable at Inverness roundhouse in July 1939. It was withdrawn from service in October 1946.