Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
BR 57955 shunting at Muir of Ord, July 1949
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_009_619
PLACENAME
Muir of Ord
DISTRICT
Muir of Ord
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Urray
DATE OF IMAGE
July 1949
PERIOD
1940s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
26055
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
BR 57955 shunting at Muir of Ord, July 1949

In 1918 the Highland Railway took delivery of four 4-6-0 tender locomotives. These were essentially an updated version of the Jones 'Big Goods' class of 1894. A further batch of four was delivered the following year. All were built by Hawthorn Leslie in Newcastle upon Tyne. Numbered 75 to 82, they were known collectively as the 'Superheated Goods'. All but two of the class lasted into British Rail days.

This photograph shows BR 57955 (previously HR 80) on shunting duties at Muir of Ord in July 1949.. It continued in service until being withdrawn in June 1952.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

BR 57955 shunting at Muir of Ord, July 1949

ROSS: Urray

1940s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 5 (Cumming classes)

In 1918 the Highland Railway took delivery of four 4-6-0 tender locomotives. These were essentially an updated version of the Jones 'Big Goods' class of 1894. A further batch of four was delivered the following year. All were built by Hawthorn Leslie in Newcastle upon Tyne. Numbered 75 to 82, they were known collectively as the 'Superheated Goods'. All but two of the class lasted into British Rail days.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows BR 57955 (previously HR 80) on shunting duties at Muir of Ord in July 1949.. It continued in service until being withdrawn in June 1952.