Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
BR 57951 on the turntable at Inverness, July 1949
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_009_630
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
July 1949
PERIOD
1940s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
26066
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
BR 57951 on the turntable at Inverness, July 1949

In 1918 the Highland Railway took delivery of four 4-6-0 tender locomotives. These were essentially an updated version of the Jones 'Big Goods' class of 1894. A further batch of four was delivered the following year. All were built by Hawthorn Leslie in Newcastle upon Tyne. Numbered 75 to 82, they were known collectively as the 'Superheated Goods'. All but two of the class lasted into British Rail days.

This photograph shows BR 57951 (previously HR 76) on the turntable at Inverness in July 1949. It continued in service until being withdrawn in May 1951.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

BR 57951 on the turntable at Inverness, July 1949

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1940s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 5 (Cumming classes)

In 1918 the Highland Railway took delivery of four 4-6-0 tender locomotives. These were essentially an updated version of the Jones 'Big Goods' class of 1894. A further batch of four was delivered the following year. All were built by Hawthorn Leslie in Newcastle upon Tyne. Numbered 75 to 82, they were known collectively as the 'Superheated Goods'. All but two of the class lasted into British Rail days.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows BR 57951 (previously HR 76) on the turntable at Inverness in July 1949. It continued in service until being withdrawn in May 1951.