Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 14768 'Clan Mackenzie' at Oban, 1937
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_LOCOMOTIVES_009_692
PLACENAME
Oban
DISTRICT
South Lorn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Kilmore and Kilbride
DATE OF IMAGE
1937
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
26126
KEYWORDS
railway locomotives
Highland Railway locomotives
Highland Railway Society
HRS
LMS 14768 'Clan Mackenzie' at Oban, 1937

The last class of locomotive built for the Highland Railway was the 'Clan' class of 4-6-0 passenger engines. Designed by Christopher Cumming, the first four (numbered 49, 51, 52 & 53) were delivered in 1919 and four more (numbered 54 to 57) were delivered in 1921. Built by Hawthorn Leslie & Co. in Newcastle, all members of the class survived into LMS ownership but only one was still working after the formation of British Railways.

This photograph shows LMS 14768 'Clan Mackenzie' (formerly HR 56) at Oban in 1937. It continued in service until being withdrawn in March 1945.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 14768 'Clan Mackenzie' at Oban, 1937

ARGYLL: Kilmore and Kilbride

1930s

railway locomotives; Highland Railway locomotives; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Locomotives 5 (Cumming classes)

The last class of locomotive built for the Highland Railway was the 'Clan' class of 4-6-0 passenger engines. Designed by Christopher Cumming, the first four (numbered 49, 51, 52 & 53) were delivered in 1919 and four more (numbered 54 to 57) were delivered in 1921. Built by Hawthorn Leslie & Co. in Newcastle, all members of the class survived into LMS ownership but only one was still working after the formation of British Railways.<br /> <br /> This photograph shows LMS 14768 'Clan Mackenzie' (formerly HR 56) at Oban in 1937. It continued in service until being withdrawn in March 1945.